We prepared this article for Helpshift administrators.
- Service agents can see, in almost real time, when a web chat user leaves their conversation.
- In Agent Dashboard, a green dot next to a web chat user’s avatar signals that the user is present.
- Absence of this green dot signals that the user has gone.
- Abandoned web chat sessions disrupt the natural flow of work when service agents must await a response that never comes. User presence detection prevents this disruption.
- The insight that user presence detection provides helps service agents to prioritize their support of active users. It also helps to lower the stress of having a heavy but unprioritized workload.
- You can trigger, or branch, time-based automations according to the presence or absence of a web chat user.
Enable user presence detection
BEFORE YOU BEGIN
Log in to Helpshift as its administrator.
- Click Settings () in the Helpshift toolbar, and then scroll the navigation pane to its App Settings area.
- In the App Settings area, click an app that should support user presence detection.
The screen refreshes to show several categories of configurable settings.
- In the Web Chat area, click Configure.The configuration controls for a web app include a toggle to activate or deactivate user presence detection.
- Use the toggle to turn On end-user presence detection.
Base new workflows on user presence detection
You can configure time-based automations that consider how long a web chat user has remained either online or offline.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN
- Log in to Helpshift as its administrator.
- Click Settings () in the Helpshift toolbar, and then scroll the navigation pane to its Workflows area.
- In the Workflows area, click Automations.
- On the Automations page, click the Time-Based tab. Then, click + NEW AUTOMATION.
The Create Automation popup window opens.
- Choose If > User has been offline for.
Choose If > User has been online for, when this option is better for your purposes.
- Click a button on the button bar to specify a duration in seconds, minutes, hours, or days. Then, choose the number of these that counts the full duration.
- Choose an action from the Then list.
For example, you might choose Reply to Customer, and then enter the message text to send.
- (Optional) Click Add Action as many times as necessary when your planned workflow includes multiple actions. Then, choose the specific actions to add.
- Click Save.